Sunday, April 11, 2010

Everyone has the right to their own religious beliefs, but why are we being forced, as SJK students, to attend this chapel service every Friday afternoon? Singing hymns and praising God is not everyone’s belief. Maybe it is because our school is Anglican, but not everyone has to be Anglican to attend this school. I would like to know why we don’t have a choice.
Its not fair to those people who are not believers to have to put up with Evensong because it could be offending to them. People who are Muslim, Buddhist practice differently and they shouldn’t have to practice this too.

Young adults are usually undecided about which religion they are. I am sure that there is some Athiests in our school and they have to put up with our Evensong and Religious Knowledge classes. How is this fair to the youth of SJK? I know your thinking, well its just a chapel service, but it’s more than that. It’s that us as kids attending this school are powerless against chapel. There is nothing we can do to have a choice against whether we, as individuals, want to take part in it or not.

If you are a teacher reading this, think about when you were young. Did you believe what we have to believe? Think about how powerless you were and how much you wanted to have a choice whether to attend this chapel service.

“What do I believe? As an American I believe in generosity, in liberty, in the rights of man. These are social and political faiths that are part of me, as they are, I suppose, part of all of us. Such beliefs are easy to express. But part of me too is my relation to all life, my religion. And this is not so easy to talk about. Religious experience is highly intimate and, for me, ready words are not at hand.” ADLAI STEVENSON

1 comment:

  1. I think that you are very right about how kids should not be forced into one religion when really we don't know what to do! It is also unfair if someone who is Muslim or Buddhist to be forced to sit in a chapel learning about a religion that they disagree with. You had some really interesting points and I liked how you ended it with a quote! :D

    ReplyDelete